Monday, July 7, 2014

What networking really means (Part One)

The buzz word in job searching is simply "networking". I often hear the following phrases, expressed by frustrated and bewildered job searchers:
  • Everyone tells me that the key to finding a great position is networking. What does that mean?
  • Am I supposed to pay $15-$25 to attend these networking events promoted by different organizations?
  • Should I contact everyone in my Linked In and Facebook account to ask about jobs? 
  • I thought you were never supposed to ask for a job?
  • I don't know anyone who can help me. I am stuck!
Today we'll just cover the first bullet point. Before we start, let's explain what networking actually is, and what actually works. We need to adopt the appropriate mindset before we talk about specific techniques.

"Networking" is leveraging the potential of your connections in a mutually beneficial manner. Please note the inclusion of the words "mutually beneficial" because this means that you should be working with your contacts to help each other achieve your goals. If one person is doing all the giving, this will lead to resentment and you can develop a reputation as a "moocher" - and you will quickly see people become less willing to help you. In fact, your connections may passively discourage your endeavors if they feel that they are being "used". If you leave a negative impression on members in your network, how will they respond when a potential employer inquires about possible candidates to fill a new role?

Let's explore how this works. I was talking to a friend the other day, who happens to be a C-level executive at a publicly traded company. I asked him how he found his jobs throughout his successful career, and he thought for a minute before responding that "all the positions I have found were offered to me by someone who knew me." That sounds great! How did he build a network of people who regularly offered him positions with increasingly higher responsibilities and salaries?

Relationships. You must develop and maintain relationships. Of course, this goes back to the "mutually beneficial" descriptor I used above. In the course of his career he sought out opportunities to meet and develop relationships with people - co-workers, hiring managers, subordinates, recruiters, and experts in his field. These relationships would not survive if he was always saying things like "Hi Joe, do you have any leads for me?" or "Can you send my resume to Harry in accounting? I saw a posting on your company site that looks great!" Relationships are a two way street, so remember that your contact probably wants his or her career to progress too - try asking "How can I help?" and then help them solve their problems.


After your contacts tell you what they need, and write it down. Refer back to your list periodically to mentally check if you have seen or heard anything that might be helpful to a member of your network.

Seriously. Write it down and review it. You cannot expect your contacts to remember your needs and act on your behalf if you're not willing to do the same for them. Writing down their help request in front of them has the added benefit of showing that you're serious about helping them, and that you are not simply paying lip service to their needs. Building a strong network of people who will help you find those hidden opportunities will take some time and effort, but the payoffs throughout your career will be tremendous.



No comments:

Post a Comment